Veterinary Care Where You Need It - In Our Clinic, In Your Home


In-Clinic & In-Home Veterinary Care

5012 1/2 E Hwy 62
Jeffersonville, IN  47130
(812) 590-3081
info@accessveterinarycare.com

Halloween Pet Safety

By Camilynne Wallen, LVT

Halloween is a fun and exciting time for everyone. We get the chance to play our favorite superhero, character, or wow our friends with creativity. This is no different for our pets! However, they are not able to celebrate in quite the same way. We have put together a few tips and tricks to help keep our furry companions safe.

Candy

We know candy appears by the pound in your house around Halloween, but it is important to make sure it is kept out of reach of all pets. Common ingredients found in candy that may be toxic include:

  • Chocolate – may cause heart problems, seizures, vomiting, restlessness, and even death.
  • Xylitol – Common sugar substitute found in sugar free gum, etc. Xylitol causes severe blood sugar changes, liver toxicity, and even death. Xylitol is estimated to be 100 times more toxic to dogs than chocolate.
  • Grapes, raisins, and some nuts can all be toxic to your pets.

Costumes

Zebra TatumIf you plan to put a costume on your pet, make sure:

  • it fits properly and is comfortable 
  • it doesn't have any pieces that can easily be chewed off
  • it doesn't interfere with your pet's sight, hearing, and breathing, opening its mouth, or moving. 
  • to get your pet accustomed to the costume before Halloween
  • NEVER to leave your pet unsupervised while he/she is wearing a costume. 

Most pets are better off left at home during trick-or-treating excursions. However, if they do tag along, keep them on a very short leash and harness to prevent fighting with other animals, eating treats, becoming victims of practical jokes – as black cats often do – or biting strangers they encounter.

 

Decorations

Keep lit candles and jack-o-lanterns out of reach of pets; Keep glow sticks and glow jewelry away from your pets. Although the liquid in these products isn't likely toxic, it tastes really bad and makes pets salivate excessively and act strangely.

Microchipping

Having a steady stream of traffic and excitement at the front door usually leaves you distracted and opening the door constantly allows many opportunities for pets to escape. We recommend confining pets in a quiet safe place such as a bedroom, bathroom, or crate. However, have your pet microchipped to increase the chance they are returned to you if they get do get out.